Do yourself a favor and scour Chinatown for veggies. You'll see things you never knew existed. Like this, Fu Gwa. It's known as Bitter Melon in America and the name is no joke. Be prepared for an intriguing taste at your table. The texture is close to zucchini, but firmer. Chop it up, stir fry it with some shitake mushrooms and put it on the table. It'll be gone in no time.
- 2 cups Dried Shitake Mushrooms
- Hot Water
- 2 pounds Fu Gwa
- 3 tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- Soak the mushrooms in hot water for at least 30 minutes, until they're tender enough to cut. Cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Cut the Fu Gwa in half and scoop out the seeds, then chop it into rounds or cubes.
- Heat the sesame oil in the base of a wok and add the garlic when it's hot. Stir fry until garlic is browned.
- Add mushrooms and stir fry for 7-10 minutes.
- Add Fu Gwa and Soy Sauce, stir fry for 5-7 minutes, then serve.