Bacon needs no introduction, it begs no accoutrements, but sometimes (just sometimes) it likes to be treated like a GD star. It doesn't take much to put bacon in the spotlight, just of touch of sweet spice and some proper cooking. I like my bacon straight and stiff as a board, thick and crisp. For my tastes, there is no better purveyor of the porky strip than John O'Groats in LA. I base my cooking technique on their expert presentation, and it doesn't fail.
- 1 pound Bacon, thickly cut
- 2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
- Heat your oven to 475 degrees.
- In a medium bowl mix together both the Garam Masala and brown sugar.
- Dredge each bacon slice through the spice mixture, coating both sides liberally.
- Line a large roasting tray with the bacon slices, keeping them in one layer.
- Place a rack on top of the bacon slices, to keep them flat while they bake.
- Bake the bacon for 15-20 minutes, or until browned and crisp all around.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and, using a fork, take each slice out of the roasting tray while still hot and let it drain on a separate rack.