Chewy, gooey, crusty mozzarella sticks are a staple of middle-American menus. Kids love them, adults love them, there's nothing not to love. But there is something to improve. When you want a treat like that at home, skip the frozen food aisle and our microwave. Instead, make a batch of paneer, cut it into slices, and fry it in hot oil. You'll love the dense cheese with a crisp crust.
- Sliced or cubed Paneer
- Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder (add any spices you like!)
- Safflower oil for frying
- In a small bowl toss together the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and onion powder until evenly mixed.
- Coat each piece of paneer in the starch mixture.
- Heat oil in a cast iron or carbon steel pan until shimmering and hot.
- Fry the paneer for 5-7 minutes on the first side. Flip when brown and continue to pan fry until both sides are golden.
- Remove from the pan and let cool briefly before eating.